Find out what a Chakra is and why there's a growing interest in the spiritual and wellness sector.
As one of the UK's largest wholesale Chakra supplies, we often get asked the question 'What is a Chakra' by our customers planning to expand their product lines into the spiritual and wellness category. So we thought we'd offer a beginners guide for any other online businesses hoping to do the same.
If you’ve ever taken a yoga or meditation class, you may have heard the instructor discussing your Chakras. While you may have a vague idea about what “Chakra” actually means, you may be confused about its origins and its real significance.
What Does Chakra Mean?
The Seven Chakras are often used in yoga and in various branches of spirituality to define the seven main energy centers. The word Chakra actually means “spinning wheel.” According to yoga traditions, the Chakras are the centre of who we really are — they govern our desires, our personality, and our emotions.
So, by delving inside and understanding our Chakras, we come closer to understanding ourselves on a more pure level — or, in other words, on a level outside of our physical realities.
While this may all sound a little airy fairy for people who are new to the concept of Chakras, by simply spending time looking inwards and connecting with imagined energy centres in the body, you may find that you reach a deeper, more meditative connection with yourself.
Without further ado, let’s get into discussing the seven Chakras.
The Seven Chakras
Each Chakra is located at a different place in the body, has its own colour and element association, and its own meaning.
Root Chakra (Muladhara)
Located: The base of the spine; the pelvic floor
- Connects to our physical, instinctive urges, such as sex, sleep, survival
Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana)
- Connects us to our reproductive urges
- Hunger and taste
- Linked to cravings, attachments
- Pleasure-driven Chakra
Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
Located: Navel, lumbar spine
- Connected to digestive organs, locomotion, physicality
- Connecting with this Chakra can mobilise healing, health, courage, vitality, and self-esteem
Heart Chakra (Anahata)
Located: Heart and chest
- This Chakra is connected with our capacity for love, affinity, interpersonal connection
- Similarly, it can also reveal feelings of abandonment, isolation, loneliness
Throat Chakra (Vishuddhi)
- Connecting with the throat Chakra can open your ability for speech and expression
- It can also be connected to your ability to listen and communicate
- Finally, it is linked to metabolism
Third Eye Chakra (Ajna)
Located: Between the eyes
Colour: Deep Purple
- This Chakra connects to your intellect, feeling, and sight
- It is often said that this Chakra needs to be opened and nurtured for us to see the larger perspective and truth of our perceived reality
Crown Centre (Sahasrara)
Located: Beyond the individual; can be perceived as an aura and an energy above the head
Colour: Purple/ pink
Element: No element
- This Chakra is said to exist beyond the body and the mind of the individual
- Accessing this Chakra means connecting to an energy outside of the body
- It is said that this helps you to grow into a “cosmic consciousness” that encompasses the physical, mental, and spiritual
Discover Our Spirituality and Wellness Products at Something Different Wholesale
At Something Different Wholesale, we offer a range of beautiful wellness products that can help your customers on their journey towards a more spiritual life. If you offer yoga workshops or you run a wellness gift store, check out our Chakra Essential Oil Atomisers, Chakra Incense Sticks, or our Chakra Singing Bowls. Click here to browse our full range of spiritual and wellbeing items.